Summit for Democracy Newsletter: November 2023
Dear Summit for Democracy Friends,
The third Summit for Democracy is scheduled for March 2024! It will focus on the theme "Democracy for Future Generations" with five subthemes, including technology, youth promotion, media, investment in future generations, and global partnerships. Read below for the latest S4D news and do not hesitate to reach out if you have any ideas or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Summit4Democracy.org newsletter is a joint initiative of the Global Democracy Coalition powered by Accountability Lab and International IDEA. This newsletter seeks to ensure that organizations involved in the Summit for Democracy and related processes are able to stay up-to-date on the activities, issues, and initiatives that emerged from those processes. Would you like to submit to the newsletter and the S4D News and Resource Portal? Use our form here.
S4D Stakeholder Updates
- NDI, IRI, USAID, and the House Democracy Partnership released their Summit for Democracy Parliamentary Achievements report. This report covers legislative engagement between 2022 - 2023, while also suggesting lessons for the 2024 Summit in Seoul.
- The International Cooperation for Anti-Corruption Cohort shared their September 2023 newsletter.
- The Biden-Harris Administration released the 2023 Women, Peace, and Security Strategy (WPS) and National Action Plan, which includes how they advanced women’s and girls’ civic and political leadership through the Summits for Democracy.
- USAID launched Donor Principles for Human Rights in the Digital Age, which is a deliverable of the Summit for Democracy Presidential Initiative for Democratic Renewal.
- USAID launched the Powered by the People (PxP) initiative, which gives $45 million to support efforts advancing human rights, social justice, democracy, and inclusive development. President Biden announced the PxP initiative at the first Summit for Democracy in 2021 as a key deliverable under the Presidential Initiative for Democratic Renewal.
S4D in the Media
- The Council on Foreign Relations wrote an article on Why Anti-LGBTQ Attacks Matter for Democracy. They find strong evidence that attacks on LGBTQI+ people and their rights can be a bellwether of broader democratic backsliding, which they contend was a discussion point missing from the Summit for Democracy.
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov criticized UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, stating that his remarks at the 2023 Summit for Democracy in March in Washington contradicted the obligations of his position, which should be unbiased.
Events and Publications
- International IDEA’s The Global State of Democracy 2023 Global Launch Event will be held today, November 2nd at 17:00 CET/11:00AM EST. It evaluates the state of democracy in 173 countries through Representation, Rights, Rule of Law and Participation. You can watch the livestream or the recorded playback here.
- Kimpact Development Initiative released the publication Viewing 2023 Nigeria Post-Election Petitions Through The Gender Lens.
- The 22nd International Observatory Participatory Democracy Conference will be held in Rio de Janeiro from 6 - 8 November 2023.
- Setting Democratic Ground Rules for AI: Civil Society Strategies is a new report from NED. It analyzes priorities, challenges, and promising civil society strategies for advancing democratic approaches to governing artificial intelligence (AI).
- The World Forum for Democracy 2023 will analyze the question, Does Democracy = Peace? It will be held November 6 - 8, 2023.
- The Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Program is a federally funded, international exchange program that offers democracy activists, journalists, civil society leaders, and scholars from around the world the opportunity to spend five months in residence at the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), in Washington, D.C., in order to undertake independent research on democracy in a particular country or region. Applications are due November 6th, 2023.
Relevant Tools and Resources
The Summit For Democracy.org newsletter is a joint output of the Global Democracy Coalition, powered by Accountability Lab and International IDEA.
Copyright © 2023 Accountability Lab, All rights reserved.