Gender Cohort: Gender Equality as a Prerequisite for Democracy
The Gender Cohort Co-leads Sweden, Romania, Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security (GIWPS) and International IDEA invites you to the side event Gender Equality as a Prerequisite for Democracy, on 9 March 2023, 15:00-16:15 EST, at the United Nations Headquarters, Conference Room B, Conference Building, New York.
- Overview on the Key Recommendations of the Gender Cohort on Gender Equality as a Prerequisite for Democracy; Rumbidzai Kandawasvika-Nhundu, Senior Advisor:-Democracy and Inclusion, International IDEA.
- Gender Equality as a Prerequisite for Democracy- Why this is critical? What is the value and contribution to the Summit for Democracy and beyond the Summit? Sofia Calltorp, Ambassador for Gender Equality, Sweden
- Key Reflections on Inclusion- What are the key strategies to transform the negative socio-cultural norms, practices and stereotypes that hinder the meaningful inclusion of women and the achievement of gender equality as a prerequisite for democracy? Romania representative
- Key Reflections on Conflict prevention, peace and security- Considering the challenges related to conflict prevention, peace and security for women and girls, what should be prioritised and focused on to advance gender equality in democracy? Ambassador Melanne Verveer, Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security (GIWPS)
- Plenary Discussions on Good Practices/Examples and Lessons on advancing Gender Equality as a Prerequisite for Democracy
- What are the essential transformative and sustainable strategies for advancing gender equality and women’s political empowerment in democracy?
- What are the evident milestones that can be used as benchmarks to accelerate progress?
- Concluding Remarks